My dentist is trying to cap a cracked tooth because she says she can save it. I need a tooth out ASAP, and I would like to schedule an urgent care appointment with another dentist. I want the tooth out. I am leaving for NY next week to visit my mom for a month, and I don’t want problems with the tooth while I am away. And I want to avoid seeing a NY dentist and getting caught up for hours at maxed out dentist’s office. Can I do a walk-in and get the tooth pulled? Thanks, Ryan M.
Thank you for contacting Cornerstone Dentistry in Sugar Land. Dr. Thomas needs to examine and x-ray your tooth to see if it is savable. Like any conscientious dentist, even a dentist who would see you on an emergency visit would examine and x-ray your tooth and try to save it.
Can You Get a Tooth Extraction Instead of Getting a Crown?
You can get a tooth extracted instead of getting a crown. But if a dentist can save the tooth, they recommend a crown. The benefits of keeping a generally healthy tooth outweigh the effects of removing it. Consider what happens when a tooth is missing:
- The underlying jawbone will shrink.
- Adjacent and opposing teeth will drift toward the space where your tooth is missing.
- Your shifting teeth can cause problems with your bite.
- You may develop a need for braces.
- If you decide to replace the tooth in the future, you may require a bone graft before getting a dental implant.
- If you opt for a partial denture or a dental bridge, either option will affect the tooth on either side of the missing one.
- Your missing tooth may detract from your smile.
Consider allowing your dentist to place a temporary crown over your tooth and give you time to decide whether you want to keep or remove it. A well-bonded temporary crown can last several months.
Discuss your concerns with your dentist before requesting the tooth removal. You won’t regret preserving your natural tooth if an experienced dentist does it.
Sugar Land cosmetic dentist Dr. Siny Thomas sponsors this post. Read how Dr. Thomas provides patients with some of the best dental care in Sugar Land.