If you’re in the Sugar Land area and have a dental emergency, call Cornerstone Dentistry now. Dr. Siny Thomas will see you today. When you arrive, he’ll examine your tooth and relieve the pain. He will also provide any immediate care you need and recommend future treatment to resolve the issue.
Types of Dental Emergencies
How do you know if your toothache or oral health concern is a dental emergency? You don’t have to feel pain or see the damage to have an urgent issue. Below are some common issues that make it urgent for you to see a dentist.
A toothache is usually a sign of an infection in the pulp of your tooth. If it’s left untreated, the pulp will die and the infection will eventually spread.
Trauma or impact to your mouth can damage your teeth, gums, tongue, or other oral tissue. Even if you don’t see any damage, trauma can cause internal damage to your tooth.
Cracked or lost dental fillings require urgent care. A faulty or missing restoration leaves your tooth unprotected and susceptible to breaking or becoming infected.
Why See Dr. Thomas Instead of Urgent Care or the ER?
Urgent care offices, emergency rooms, and their staff are equipped to handle medical emergencies—not dental emergencies. Although you might receive a prescription for pain-relieving medication, they will also refer you to a dentist for care.
Dr. Thomas has advanced training in a variety of areas to resolve your dental emergency, including:
- Diagnosing and treating tooth pain
- Root canal treatment
- Tooth restoration
- Oral surgery
What Can You Expect?
Dr. Thomas’s priorities are to relieve your pain and stabilize the situation. He will identify the issue and explain your treatment options.
If your tooth is infected, you’ll need root canal treatment. What’s involved?
- Cleaning your tooth deep into the roots to remove the infected pulp
- Replacing the pulp with a dental filler material
- Protecting your tooth with a dental crown
If there is trauma to your tooth or oral tissue, Dr. Thomas will determine the extent of damage and provide any immediate care you need to save the tooth or control bleeding, swelling, or further damage.
We can replace a lost or damaged filling or crown with a temporary restoration. After examining your tooth, Dr. Thomas will explain your options for a permanent restoration and what to expect.
Self-Help for Your Dental Emergency?
The guidelines below from the American Dental Association are not a substitute for a dental visit. Your action can prevent the situation from worsening, but you must see a dentist right away.
- Cracked tooth: Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Cut gums, tongue, or cheek: Rinse your mouth with warm water and apply cold compresses to the area.
- Swelling: Apply cold compresses to the affected area.
- Knocked-out tooth: If you can’t put the tooth back in the socket yourself, get to our office as quickly as possible. Getting the tooth replanted within a half hour is key. Meanwhile, don’t try to clean the tooth or disturb any of the soft tissue tags on the root. Keep the tooth in a moist (not dripping wet) cloth or paper towel and come in immediately.
Do You Have Dental Anxiety?
If you’re anxious or nervous about dental visits, we will welcome you—not scold or embarrass you. Dr. Thomas provides painless treatment. And we offer sedation to help you relax. Click here to read more about our conscious sedation. If you delay getting care, it can make your dental emergency worse.
Call Cornerstone Dentistry in Sugar Land to see Dr. Siny Thomas today.