Porcelain veneers are customized, thin shells of contoured porcelain that are bonded to the fronts of your teeth. The material mimics the characteristics of natural teeth. Veneers conceal imperfections in teeth and help create a beautiful first impression when you smile. In Sugar Land, Dr. Siny Thomas is a dental artist who designs natural-looking smiles with porcelain veneers. No one will be able to tell that your gorgeous smile is a result of cosmetic dentistry.
What Types of Imperfections Do Veneers Correct?
Porcelain veneers are ideal for the teeth that show when you smile. They hide aesthetic flaws, including:
- Chips, cracks, and wear
- Poor shape or length
- Discoloration and stains
Why Are Porcelain Veneers So Effective?
The attributes of dental ceramics help create a smile that’s natural-looking and attractive:
Dr. Thomas’s ceramist has an extensive color palette available to blend just the right shades and create a smile that compliments your skin tone and facial features.
Light can pass through porcelain veneers. An artistic cosmetic dentist can produce natural-looking opacity and translucence.
Porcelain is more durable than dental composite. But the long-term strength of veneers depends on proper tooth preparation and bonding technique.
Are You a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
You might be a candidate for porcelain veneers if:
- Your teeth and gums are healthy
- Your bite is aligned correctly
- You have enough healthy tooth enamel for bonding the veneers on
Dr. Thomas’s Process
Dr. Thomas will examine and x-ray your teeth to ensure porcelain veneers are right for you. He will create your porcelain veneers for function and aesthetics. He provides facially driven smile design to complement your features and personality. And you’ll be involved in the process to help him create your perfect smile.
- You’ll talk with Dr. Thomas about your ideal smile, including the shape, size, and color of your teeth. You can show him any pictures you have as examples. He’ll show you before-and-after photos gorgeous smiles he designed for patients.
- He’ll take a few pictures of your face and smile and upload them into his digital smile-design software. You’ll see before-and-after photos of how your new smile will look depending on tooth size and shape.
- For an additional lab fee, you can try on mockup veneers before Dr. Thomas does any work on your teeth. He will send your pictures to his lab to make a thin trial smile that fits over your teeth. He will credit the lab fee toward the total cost of your treatment plan.
- Depending on your smile goals and the type of veneers you receive, Dr. Thomas may remove a minimal amount of tooth enamel from the fronts and sides of your teeth. At times, preparation is needed to ensure the veneers fit correctly at your gumline and won’t make your teeth look bulky.
- He will scan your teeth with an intraoral camera to take digital impressions. Dr. Thomas will send the impressions, your photos, and instructions to his ceramist to craft precisely fitting veneers that look natural.
- You will wear temporary veneers that accurately represent your porcelain veneers. Because of your involvement in the smile design process, you’ll probably be delighted with how they look and feel. But if you’re hesitant, they will be remade until you love them.
- After you approve your temporary veneers, Dr. Thomas’s ceramist will use them to craft your porcelain veneers.
- Dr. Thomas will place your veneers on your teeth with a try-in paste. If you love them without hesitation, he will permanently bond them to your teeth. Otherwise, he will turn them to his ceramist to adjust or completely remake them.
Dr. Thomas has a beautiful smile guarantee: He will permanently bond your veneers to your teeth only when you’re delighted with them and confident that he has created the smile of your dreams.
How Long Will They Last?
Porcelain veneers can last 10 to 20 years if they are made well and bonded correctly. And you must be diligent about maintaining them.
How to Care for Porcelain Veneers
- Daily floss between your teeth, and brush them twice daily with a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive paste.
- Only receive dental cleanings and exams from a hygienist and dentist who received training to care for porcelain veneers and know which tools to use to avoid damaging them.
- Let us know if you clench or grind your teeth. Dr. Thomas can make a custom mouth guard for you to wear while you sleep.
- Avoid using your teeth to bite hard or sharp objects.
Would you like to know if your smile can benefit from porcelain veneers? Call us or complete our Request an Appointment form for a ten-minute consultation with Dr. Thomas.