I saw a periodontist last December for the pinhole technique on my gums. The results look fantastic. Now that my gums frame my teeth so nicely, I am getting self-conscious and want my teeth whitened. Also, I am considering porcelain veneers to even my front teeth and correct a slight overlap. Is it too soon to get teeth whitening and veneers, or should I wait a few more months? Thanks. Todd from Utah
Thank you for contacting Cornerstone Dentistry in Sugar Land. Although Dr. Thomas would need to examine your teeth and gums before recommending treatment, we will discuss the timing of cosmetic dentistry after gum surgery.
How Long After Gum Surgery Should You Wait for Cosmetic Dentistry?
Depending on the technique and your healing progress, it can take four to eight weeks to see the optimal results of gum graft surgery or Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation®. It is wise to wait for teeth whitening or porcelain veneers for several reasons:
- Teeth whitening can irritate gum tissue.
- Your natural teeth will likely need preparation before porcelain veneers.
- A dentist will ensure porcelain veneers fit your teeth around the contours of your gum tissue.
Also, teeth bleaching and porcelain veneers require optimal oral health. Otherwise, cosmetic dentistry treatment can weaken or irritate your teeth.
Why Should You Get Teeth Whitened Before Porcelain Veneers?
A dentist must complete teeth whitening first and allow the color to stabilize before preparing your teeth for porcelain veneers. Whitening your teeth first will ensure your porcelain veneers match your bright smile.
Request a Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation
If you want to maintain excitement about improving your smile, you can research a few cosmetic dentists and schedule a consultation. Below are suggestions before scheduling consultations.
- Ask family, friends, or workmates for recommendations on a cosmetic dentist.
- Search online in your area for cosmetic dentists with post-graduate training in cosmetic dentistry.
- Look for patient reviews on the dentist’s work.
- Find the dentist’s smile gallery of patient photos with porcelain veneers and teeth whitening.
- Prepare a list of questions about porcelain veneers and teeth whitening.
- Explain that you had gum surgery.
- Ask for an estimate of when you can begin cosmetic dentistry.
Sugar Land, Texas, dentist Dr. Siny Thomas of Cornerstone Dentistry sponsors this post. Read about Dr. Thomas’s commitment to giving his patients the best dental care he can.